As a makeup artist, one of the frequent questions I get from clients and model is ‘how do I find the perfect lipstick shade for my skin tone?’. Without a doubt, this is a very valid question. I have tried one lipstick on one person and it looks absolutely perfect while on another person it’s just ‘not there’.
Lipsticks are very essential, as a matter of fact, there are health benefits of wearing lipsticks; in the world of makeup, there are thousands of lipsticks in different shades from different brands and choose the one that most suits you might be a very difficult task.
The key to finding the best lipstick that suits you perfectly which I’ll be sharing more about in this post is first knowing what skin undertone you have. This could easily pass as being among makeup hacks every lady should know and if you don’t already know what your skin’s undertone is, follow me, I’ll put you through.
There are basically three categories of skin undertone which everyone falls into; warm, cool and neutral.
1. Warm undertone
This category ranges from yellow, peachy and golden undertones. You have warm undertone if your skin’s base tone looks yellow, peachy or gold. Some indications of warm undertone are:
- Your veins look greenish (the veins are actually blue, but they look green because you’re seeing them through the yellow-golden tint in your skin, yellow + blue = green.)
- Gold jewellery looks better on you
- You have brown, amber, or hazel eyes
- Your skin turns golden-brown under the sun
- strawberry blond, red, brown, or black hair
Beyonce, Shay Mitchell and Hailey Beiber are examples of celebrities with warm undertone
How to choose a lipstick shade for warm undertones
There’s a very easy rule for this, simply opt for lipsticks with warm undertones if you have a warm skin undertone. Peach, Rosy pink, Orangey reds, coral, copper and browns are lipstick shades that complement warm skin tones.
2. Cool Undertone
This category ranges from pink, red or bluish undertones. You have warm undertone if your skin’s base tone looks yellow, peachy or gold. Some indications of cool undertone are:
- Your veins look blue or purplish
- Silver jewelleries look better on you
- You have blue, grey, or green eyes
- Your skin burns easily and tans slowly under the sun
- brown, black or blonde hair
Lupita Nyong’o, Amanda Seyfried, Jennifer Hudson are examples of celebrities with cool undertones.
How to choose a lipstick shade for cool undertones:
Opt for lipsticks with cool undertones if you have successfully determined that you have a cool undertone. Pinkish nude, plum, crimson, purples, cherry, are shades of lipsticks with cool undertones. Instead of orangey reds, go for deeper bluish-red lipsticks. They would suit your cool undertone better.
3. Neutral Undertone
This category of people has both warm and cool undertone. They are somewhat in between. Some indications of cool undertone are:
- Your veins look colorless or exactly like your skin. In some cases, you may see both green and blue.
- Silver and gold jewelleries look equally good on you.
- You don’t get easily burned and you tan slowly under the sun
How to choose a lipstick shade for neutral undertone:
This is by far the easiest. Similar to how either gold or silver jewellery can look good on this category of people, any shade of lipstick would look great on them as well. Just pick up any lipstick and you’re good to go!
I hope this post has been helpful. Let me know what your skin undertone is in the comments and if you need any further assiatnce in deciding lipstick shades to use, do not hesitate to let me know as well.
Till next time,
Mimie Jay 💜